How you can program your smart home with KNX in just a few hours
Use our manufacturer-independent video course with click instructions for KNX programming of a complete KNX smart home. Do you notice the difference between the courses of the manufacturers and ours? Do you find learning in a good mood and an entertaining way much more fun than lengthy seminar days?
Then you are exactly right here! Learn from “KNX Smart Home” pioneer Frank Völkel how you can program KNX yourself in just a few hours and set up any KNX installation in any one-family house or building.
For builders and electricians who want to reach their goal in the shortest possible time – i.e. in a few hours – without theory with the ETS5 or ETS6 software!
Click instructions for KNX programming (In 8 hours to the KNX Smart Home - complete video course package)
Do you want to get off to a flying start and do everything right quickly?
You don’t want to spend many months looking for the practical know-how for KNX programming in forums and would rather start NOW?
Here you will find a step-by-step guide to the KNX programming of all areas of a KNX Smart Home to get there immediately!
Become a KNX professional in 8 hours and set up and program your KNX cabling in new buildings or renovations yourself!
This video course enables all beginners, builders and electricians without experience in KNX programming to set up, parameterize, program and commission a house including the electrical control cabinet with KNX components with the least amount of time.
The complete video course package is aimed at:
- Builders and electricians who want to quickly implement their “KNX Smart Home”.
- Builders who want to save many thousands of euros (often >15,000 euros) and want to implement their residential/commercial building themselves immediately
- Interested parties without KNX basics and previous knowledge who want to set up and program everything themselves on the PC with the latest KNX ETS5 or ETS6 software and put a building into operation in a few hours
12 steps to KNX programming
- In 12 steps we will show you all the necessary details that are important for KNX parameterization, KNX programming and KNX commissioning of a house/building
- Benefit from our more than 20 years of practical experience with the conception, planning and KNX programming of smart homes (detached house, villas and individual high-end smart homes)
- Manufacturer-independent video course that includes all areas of a building
- Lifetime course use and update import (e.g. ETS6 since 01/2022)
You are spared all of this:
- annoying journey and stay in tiring training courses (a lot of time and high costs)
- complicated dry theory, slow learning without practice
- normal Windows PC with KNX software ETS6 Professional, ETS6 Home, ETS6 Lite or ETS5 Professional, ETS5 Home, ETS6 Demo
for builders and electricians
8h video click instructions
ETS5 project for download
All inclusive: program the complete Smart Home yourself with KNX
This 8-hour KNX video course shows in an understandable way (to imitate):
- how to set up and program all KNX actuators in an electrical control cabinet (residential house, commercial building),
such as heating, ventilation, shading – blinds/shutters, switchable sockets can be set,
- how KNX push-button sensors and KNX room temperature controllers are configured,
- how all DALI lighting (dimmable DT6, DT8 and color changing light, RGBW etc.) is set up,
- How to correctly set KNX presence detectors (also with temperature sensors),
- how window and door contacts are integrated for alarm functions,
- how KNX smoke detectors ensure that smoke or heat development leads to immediate protective measures
- how to integrate the KNX weather station, how to set up weather alarms (storm, rain, snow) for blinds and shutters
- how to set up KNX scenes and call them up at the push of a button, how to program scenes using a KNX button
- Preparation for control/KNX visualization with Gira X1, Gira Homeserver 4, Jung Visu Server or Basalte Core Server
- Preparation for multi-room audio with KNX, music control in several rooms via KNX button or smartphone/tablet
- Display of the current energy consumption and profit (all consumers, PV system, etc.)
Within the 12 course sections, around 10,000 settings (!) on all subject areas relating to the KNX programming of a KNX Smart Home (house with KNX system) are discussed and shown.
Video course content KNX programming (8 hours of click instructions)
1. Installation and setup of KNX ETS software (14 min)
- KNX basics ETS5/6 versions, differences ETS Lite, ETS Demo, ETS Inside and ETS5/6 Professional
- Installation of ETS5 software under Windows 10/11
- Create and insert KNX ETS license, KNX dongle
- Connection KNX bus with ETS software
2. Creating the building in ETS software (19 min)
- KNX topology: building the house correctly, floors, rooms
- Building views, set up screen
- Create rooms: basement, ground floor, first floor, attic, garden, pool, garage
- KNX Smart Home: Assign use of the rooms
- Technical room: Set up the control cabinet and server rack
- Saving the KNX project with the ETS software
3. Inserting KNX devices and KNX components in the building (31 min)
- KNX product databases and what we need them for
Automatic and manual
- import – KNX product databases
- Import of a specific KNX device, manufacturer/component
- Import of a 2-way KNX button
- Placement of a 2-fold KNX button in rooms
- What can each individual KNX device or component do?
- Insertion of all KNX buttons, KNX smoke detectors etc.
- Special case: Insert KNX button with plug-in
- Activation of compatibility mode for ETS3/4 when using plug-ins with ETS5 and ETS6
- Room book: transfer KNX components
4. Insert KNX devices/components in the control cabinet (11 min)
- KNX power supply
- KNX/IP router/interface
- KNX heating actuator
- KNX weather station
- KNX switching actuator for switchable sockets etc.
- KNX analogue input/output etc.
5. KNX: Assign physical addresses (21 min)
- Physical addresses: assigning placeholders, address pool
- Correct order when inserting the KNX devices
- Problem solution: Finding already occupied physical addresses within an ETS project
- Correct and sensible arrangement of all Windows windows in ETS5/6 software, practical experience
- Several KNX lines in a larger house: KNX line coupler in use
- Use of several KNX line couplers in KNX ETS and data communication on the KNX bus
6. Control cabinet I: Set up KNX devices (46 min)
- Insert KNX/IP interface with special features
- Insert and set the KNX power supply unit
- KNX switching actuators (sockets, garden irrigation, etc.)
- Parameterize KNX dimming actuators (analogue light, normal LED lights).
- Parameterise KNX blind actuators (shutters, blinds, blinds).
- KNX binary inputs (door contacts, window contacts)
- Set up KNX heating actuators for underfloor heating, heating circuits and floors
- Set up KNX analog actuators
- KNX line coupler (several lines in a larger building)
- Status feedback of all KNX buttons
- Dimming lights via KNX
- Set dimming behavior of lights
- Determine KNX blind positions, set travel times and behavior
- Set wind alarm KNX weather station
7. Control cabinet II: Set up KNX devices (74 min)
- KNX binary input: switching behavior, channels, outputs
- KNX heating actuator: Selection of controller types, operating modes, heating modes
- KNX analogue actuator: general settings, outputs
- KNX line coupler: Main line, secondary line settings
- KNX weather station: weather data, limit values, weather alarms
- KNX push button in the room
8. Rooms I: Setting up KNX devices (73 min)
- KNX push button with display: parameters for extended functions
- Push button sensor with display and room temperature controller
- 3-way KNX push button: rocker or switch?
- Scene storage at the touch of a button
- Scene Setting: All Off, Coming Home, Dinner, TV, Party
- Heating: set the KNX room temperature controller (integrated, external, etc.)
- Switching timers via KNX push button functions
- KNX presence detector basic settings sensor calibration
- KNX day/night switching differences set modes
- KNX presence detector: detection of people, pets
- Save energy: Constant light control (artificial light and daylight)
9. Rooms II: Set up KNX devices and KNX components (10 min)
- Setting the KNX smoke alarm device correctly, parameters and options
- KNX smoke alarm: switch lights, raise blinds, etc. all of this should happen automatically in the house
10. Connect virtual KNX cables I: KNX group addresses (61 min)
- Create central groups: light, sockets, blinds/shutters, heating, sensors, multi-room audio, messages/faults
- Overview: KNX main group, middle group and group addresses
designations and communication objects
- Dummy in ETS file
- KNX main groups, save time during setup
- KNX ETS address ranges
- Our best method: connecting the virtual KNX cables
- KNX control cabinet, rooms
- KNX status feedback
11. Connecting virtual KNX cables II: KNX group addresses (34 min)
- Use of KNX binary input
- Binary input for ventilation system
- Preparation of KNX visualization
- KNX weather station: Wind alarm, raise blinds
12. Connecting virtual KNX cables III: KNX buttons in rooms (23 min)
- KNX touch sensors in rooms
- Heating and cooling operation
- Creation of a KNX gateway
- Blinds: Short- and long-term function via KNX status indicators
- Day and night switching
- KNX alarm functions: light on, raise blinds, flashing lights on button
13. Define, call up and save KNX scenes (16 min)
- Call up KNX scenes: light, blinds, sockets, music etc.
Save new KNX scenes at the push of a button
Example Berker B.IQ: 8 scene outputs and 8 scenes
KNX central functions: All off etc.
14. KNX programming and error diagnosis (15 min)
- physical addresses
program data, parameters
Group monitor: Diagnosis and detection of individual participants
Line scan function
Group monitor: error diagnosis and error detection
Security against manipulation
15. Create documentation about KNX programming (11 min)
- Print report function as PDF or paper
- KNX Security
- Topology for error analysis in the event of data loss
- Parts list of all KNX components
- Use of the logbook – what was done
16. Preparation for the KNX visualization (10 min)
- KNX visualization using a home server – options and models
- Create visualization dummy (big and small, differences), translation table
- Gira Homeserver 4 or Basalte Core Plus Homeserver
- Export of the KNX project data in graphical KNX visualization (tablet, smartphone, wall display)
17. Set up lighting with DALI (35 min)
- KNX/DALI gateway – which is the best choice?
- Inserting a DALI gateway
- Parameterization of a DALI bus with KNX ETS software
- KNX commissioning of different DALI lights in a house (DALI DT6 and DT8)
- Settings and DALI groups
- KNX group addresses virtual KNX cabling
- Create KNX scenes for lights: brightness and color temperature
- DALI light control: set the course of daylight via time control
KNX basic course - Introduction to the KNX system and KNX Smart Home (25 min)
- KNX basics of networking in building system technology (residential building, commercial building)
- Which bus systems are relevant (KNX, DALI, DMX, TCP-IP etc.)?
- How does the KNX bus communication work?
- What does it look like in practice/house construction?
For electricians: Higher hourly rate with "KNX programming"
If you are an electrician, you can accept KNX projects in just a few hours, since you are really familiar with programming KNX thanks to the video course. You get the full practice in the KNX ETS5 or ETS6 software based on a typical house project. As a result, you can now accept KNX projects, program KNX yourself and charge a significantly higher hourly rate.
As a private builder, you save both the costs for KNX programming and the follow-up costs for extensions and updates.
Programming KNX on the Apple Mac under MacOS
The KNX ETS5 or ETS6 software is licensed via a USB dongle, which allows it to be used on different computers at the same time. The KNX programming on the Apple Mac under OSX is only possible via Apple Bootcamp and the start of Windows 10/11 or via virtualization app. On the new Apple MacBooks since 2020 with M1/M2 processor (ARM architecture), KNX programming is perfectly possible via the Parallels virtualization software and with Windows 11 (ARM) according to our experience 5/as of 2023.
Completely new with the ETS5 and ETS6 is the accelerated import and export of ETS projects (KNX house construction projects) thanks to the database-free technology. With the earlier versions of the ETS, a database file had to be imported and exported separately. Today everything goes faster. This means that the entire process for programming the KNX and the KNX parameterization has become significantly leaner.
Programming KNX on notebooks and laptops
Compared to the older versions, the graphical user interface of the current ETS5 or ETS56 Professional, ETS5 Home and ETS5 Demo has been gradually improved so that more space is also available for programming KNX on notebooks and laptops with smaller screens. The current ETS5 or ETS6 software is based on the modern design of Windows 10/11 and accelerates the KNX parameterization and the KNX programming. Windows 10 Pro or Windows 11 Pro in the 64-bit version is highly recommended.
ETS KNX Software
The communication between the KNX components takes place via data telegrams. The assignment between the individual participants and the configuration of the functions is carried out with the so-called ETS, the “Engineering Tool Software”. The ETS software is constantly being further developed and is completely manufacturer-independent. With ETS programming, you determine what should happen in your house and in which rooms at certain times and events. The advantage of KNX: you can reprogram all functions in the house at any time with the ETS software or add new components. Even after 20 or 30 years.
Voices and opinions on the "Video Course KNX Programming":
About Frank Völkel
He is the pioneer for “Smart Home building” in Germany and built the first real Smart Home in the district of Munich in 2008. Since that time he has planned over 160 sophisticated KNX Smart Homes and supported them in the implementation/KNX programming. He has imparted his know-how and practical knowledge in over 1,000 customer consultations.
With his video courses and as the leading YouTuber of the YT channel “Smartest Home”, he helps builders and electricians to build high-quality houses as “smart homes” right from the start and to provide them with a high degree of self-sufficiency.